Saturday, May 19, 2018, 8:00 pm: Mt. Tam Astronomy Night - Astrophotography for Everyone
Mt. Tam Astronomy Night - Astrophotography for Everyone
Presented by Mt Tamalpais State Park, Friends of Mt Tam, Wonderfest, and the San Francisco Amateur Astronomers
Mt Tam Enthusiasts- Spring is here and its time to start our annual series of talks + observing on Mt Tam. Thanks to our faithful followers and dedicated volunteers, this is our 30th season! And we have a great line up for you! You can view it at friendsofmttam.org.
Featuring: Jay GaBany, President and CEO, Advanced Imaging Conference
Advances in recent decades have allowed amateur astronomers to produce deep space and planetary pictures that rival those taken by professional observatories. This presentation will provide an overview of off-the-shelf instruments and methods anyone, with perseverance and patience, can use to take amazing astronomical images.
NEW THIS SEASON- We have new directives from the State Park which will impact our programs and you, our patrons.
1. HOURS- The programs will start and end earlier than in past seasons. Note that most
programs (April-Aug minus July's movie night) will start at 8:00pm while July's
movie night and Sept start at 7:30pm and Oct starts at 7:00pm. All obsevring
will STOP at 10:15pm to be sure all cars out of the park by 10:30pm
2. REGISTRATION AND PARKING PASSES-Our audience members parking at Rock Spring
Parking Lot are requested to register and download a parking pass to display on
your dash. The gate at Pan Toll will be closed at Sunset (State Park closure time)
and only cars with printed parking passes will be allowed entry after Sunset.
Vehicles remaining in the park after 10:30pm may be cited.
Log on to friendsofmttam.org/astronomy to register and download your pass.
One pass pervehicle, so make this a little easier by CAR POOLING.
PROGRAMS ARE STILL FREE.
The Mt Tam Astronomy Programs are sponsored by the Mt Tamalpais State Park, organized by the Friends of Mt Tam and Wonderfest the Bay Area Beacon of Science and are followed by star parties (laser tours of bright
objects and telescope viewing) in the Rock Spring Parking Lot by the San Francisco Amateur Astronomers.
The evenings are FREE and open to the general public. Families and youth groups are encouraged to attend.
If some topics are too advanced for the younger members of your party they can always go down to the telescopes earl.
- Register your car and download a PASS to Park at Rock Spring parking lot and CARPOOL if possible
- Dress appropriately, it can be cold in the evenings on the mountain
- Bring a flashlight to help navigate your way from the theater to the telescopes and cars
- Help us inform others about these programs
- IF the weather is questionable the day of the event, call our hotline: 415-455-5370 after 3:30pm. Any cancellations will be posted. Note that cloudy weather and/or high winds may prevent observing through the telescopes, but generally don’t stop the lectures. Talks are cancelled only for rain or fire danger.